Monday, May 02, 2016

'Flower Pot People' Card - OnStage 2016, Telford

On April 16th I went to the Stampin' Up! OnStage event in Telford, this was the first time I had been to one of these events so I didn't really know what to expect.  I was really looking forward to swapping projects with other demonstrators and I wanted to make something that was really unusual and would combine my paper crafting and jewellery making.


Swaps had to be made using current Stampin' Up! products and I really like the 2014/16 In Colours, which retire at the end of May, so I decided to use these as my colour scheme.

A few years ago, whilst I was doing a jewellery making activity, my husband made a Man and Lady and put them on a necklace for me. Having one of these on the card front would be something other swaps wouldn't have and I could use them as 'flower pot people'.


I watched a YouTube tutorial by Dawn Griffith (YouTube link at the bottom of this page) and I immediately knew this was the card fold I wanted to make.  I went straight in to my craft room and started cutting and scoring cardstock.


With the 'flower pot' theme in mind I went through my stamp sets and as soon as I saw the hostess set 'Floral Wings' I knew this would be perfect for the stems and leaves.  For the flower pots I used the Owl Builder Punch and 'angled' the sides to look more like lower pots.  

I made a 'sample' and really liked the way it looked, now it was time to make 50 of them.  I would need to make 50 'flower pot' people and I knew I wouldn't have time to make them AND the cards, luckily my husband Geoff stepped in to help.
I cut 50 Whisper White card bases (6"x 6") and scored at 3" on two sides.  Whilst making the sample it never entered my mind how many matting layers, flowers and flower pots I would need.  To make my 50 swaps I would need:-
  • 350 matting panels
  • 750 punched flowers 
  • 300 Flower pots
  • 50 men/ladies
It took me a few days to cut the matting panels.  I started punching the flowers with the Tree Builder Punch but it got too painful for my hands so my daughter Kayleigh punched about 200 flowers for me.  I had to work out another way to do these cards without so much work.  Instead of punching 750 flowers I used the small flower stamp from the 'Floral Wings' stamp set on some of the cards.


It would take me days to cut 300 flower pots so I looked at the garden for inspiration.  After cutting the matting panels I had several thin strips of cardstock on my worktop, seeing these gave me the idea to use thin strips of mossy meadow cardstock to make 50 troughs for the inside of the cards.


I was still putting the cards together at 8 p.m the night before we had to leave for Telford. My daughter Kayleigh offered to help so I got her to put the labels on the back of the cards that had my contact details and the products I had used. She then folded the cards, put them in cellophane bags and sealed them for me. It was 11 p.m. by the time we finished the swaps.

It took me nearly 3 weeks to make the cards but I was so pleased with the outcome, I just hoped everyone at OnStage liked them (I was so worried I would bring them all home with me).  

When I got to the event everyone I swapped with was so excited with the cards.  I have had some lovely feedback from some of the demonstrators and the cards have appeared in 2 YouTube videos. One lady came up to me and asked if I had any swaps left and when I told her I did she said " I have tracked you down because I have seen your swap and I really wanted one ". I am so chuffed that all the hard work that went into making my swaps put smiles on everyone's faces.

OnStage 2016 gave me a huge lift in my confidence with paper crafting.  I have spent most days in my craft room since I got home and have made some projects that I am really excited about and I'm hoping to do some blog posts on them soon.

Dawn Griffith Corner Pop-Up Card YouTube link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdUc9KmVlYg

I hope you like my card.

Happy crafting.

Dee x











No comments:

Post a Comment