Saturday, November 19, 2016

Why I joined Stampin' Up!

A while ago my upline, Sam Hammond, asked us to do a blog post on why each one of us joined Stampin' Up! but I wasn't ready to share my story with everyone at that time. Now I feel ready to share why I became a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.


A year ago today my Mum lost her battle with Cancer and I was absolutely devastated.  Everything in my life just stopped.  After Mumsy's funeral (I called my mum Mumsy)  I started thinking about my life, my children and what I wanted from life. 

When I was in my 30's I was diagnosed with M.E. and Fibromyalgia.  I couldn't continue working as an Assistant Manager in a crèche and I lost my independence because I couldn't drive anymore. The one thing my disability didn't take away from me was my love of Crafting. 

In May 2015 I found a YouTube video tutorial by Pootles that showed how to make 5 boxes from 1 sheet of DSP.  I ordered a few Stampin' Up! products and as soon as they arrived I started playing.  Well that was it, I found my real passion was Paper Crafting. I can't draw and I'm not artistic but I can stamp some beautiful images, colour them in and make a card or a box.

When Mumsy passed away I went into their garden and sat underneath Mumsy's bedroom window.  I sat watching the birds for a while and for some reason the outdoors made me feel closer to her.  When I went home my craftroom looks out onto our garden and I found this also made me feel closer to her. 

We have 8 bird feeders in the garden so every morning I went into my craftroom and watched the birds coming in to feed.  One morning whilst sat in my craftroom I picked up my Rose stamp and stamped it onto several sheets of card.  Roses were Mumsy's favourite flower and I cried the whole time I was colouring them in but I carried on colouring.

This is one of the roses I coloured in.  I now use it as my logo for Lady Dee Crafts.

On New Year's Day I was sat in my craftroom thinking about what I wanted to do in 2016.  I definitely wanted to continue crafting because it was the one thing that was helping me during this tough time and when I finished a card or a 3D project it gave me a sense of achievement.  I would look at what I had made and know that Mumsy would have loved it.  I had been thinking about joining Stampin' Up! as a hobby demonstrator for a few months but I kept putting it off.  I emailed Sam asking her how I go about joining her team and she explained it all to me and gave me the link to sign up. 

On 6th January I chose the products I wanted for my Starter Kit and became a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.  I knew Mumsy would have been so proud of me for doing it.

It is nearly a year since I joined Stampin' Up! and I LOVE being a demonstrator.  Sam (aka Pootles) and the Pootler's are fantastic.  There is no competitiveness, when you need some advice they are always there to help, they give lots of support when you need it and they are so happy for you when you tell them of your achievement. Pootler's definitely rock!!

Since I became a demonstrator I have met some wonderful people and have some great friends.  I now have a couple of amazing customers and last month I promoted to Bronze Elite.  I know Mumsy would be so happy for me and she would be proud of what I have achieved. One day I hope to have my own team of demonstrators and see where their Stampin' Up! journey takes them.

If I can help you with anything please leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I will not be crafting today, I will be spending the day with my family.

Have yourself some crafting fun.


Dee x

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I am certain your Mumsy would be very proud of you and your accomplishments. The thing about our moms is, they are proud of us no matter what we do. My mother and I shared a love for crafting. She has been gone 5 years and I still miss her every day.
    Please continue your beautiful work. Blessings to you in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your beautiful comment. You are right about mums always being proud of their children. I am a mum of 2 grown up children (27 and 24) and I am so proud of them. Mumsy loved everything I made but she wasn't a crafter. I am so sorry to hear about your mom, I know how painful it is to miss her every day. Sending love and prayers to you. Dee x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story Dee, I know it's not an easy thing to do. I know your mum would be proud of you and even thought shes not here in the Physical sense she will always be there in spirit. So embrace those moments you spend watching the birds together and continue making your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story Dee. Life can be so cruel and painful at times but we all find a way to cope and deal with it all. You are an inspiring lady and I am so pleased I have met you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story Dee, I can't imagine my mum not being here. I also have ME and Fibromyalgia as well as other health problems and I had to give up teaching, a job that I loved. Stampin'Up has been my solace too - crafting is so therapeutic. I am sure your mum would be so proud of your strength and determination as well as your beautiful creations xx

    ReplyDelete