Sunday, December 04, 2016

Candy Cane Train - Christmas Train using Stampin' Up! products

A while ago I made a Halloween Train for The Pootler's Blog Hop that I was taking part in.  A lady called Maggie left a lovely comment for me on the blog post and she asked if I would make a Christmas Train? Christmas is my favourite time of year and I love a challenge so I said I would make the train.  I knew this would be lots of fun to make.  (Click here to see my Cookie Cutter Halloween Train or click here for the Halloween Train tutorial.)

I started working on the Christmas train in early October but earlier this year my Mother-in-Law asked me to make all her Christmas cards for her to send to family and friends and that has kept me really busy. I have finally managed to find some time to finish my Christmas Train, I really hope you like it Maggie.


I'm an Independent UK Stampin' Up! Demonstrator so I wanted to make the Christmas train using current Stampin' Up! products.  I had a few ideas running around my head and it took me about a week to decide which stamps to use.

I knew that when I had finished making the train I wanted it to go in a frame so that it could be hung on the living room wall every year.  I was having a rough day and I wasn't able to go out so hubby went to Wilkinson's but they didn't have the frame I wanted so he went to The Range.  The frame he came back with was HUGE, it measured 8" x 24" (20 x 60 cms) overall and the picture insert size was 6.5" x 22" (17 x 57cms).  This was going to be a BIG Christmas Train.

The next day I was feeling better so I went into my craftroom to start on the background for the train.  I have card of varying sizes but I didn't have a sheet of smooth white card large enough for the background so hubby went to The Range, again, to get some card.

I cut the card to the size I needed and started working on the background. I punched a 1 3/4" circle from a Post-It-Note to use as a mask for the moon.  I had to mask the bottom of the cardstock as this was going to be snow so I cut a 12" sheet of window sheet into 3 and cut wavy lines to represent the snow banks.  I taped these together and put them across the bottom part of the cardstock.



The sky needed to be lighter around the moon, getting darker the further away it was and then I was going to add the Northern Lights.   I started  with my Marina Mist and sponged this in a circular motion around the 'Post-It-Note moon'.  I then added Pacific Point, Dapper Denim and Night of Navy ink. When I had blended all 4 blues I started on the Northern Lights area.  For this I used sponge daubers with Melon Mambo, Emerald Envy, Rich Razzleberry, Daffodil Delight and Night of Navy inks.

Once the sky was finished I started making the Gingerbread train.  The engine is similar to the one I made for the Halloween Train but I made it bigger and added a snow plough to the front of it. 



I made two open-topped carriages and two carriages that had sides and a roof. I used the striped stamp in the Candy Cane Christmas stamp set to make the sides and top.  I added gumdrop on the roofs of these 2 carriages and the engine.


The stamp sets I used for the characters are:-
  • Cookie Cutter Christmas and matching punch
  • Merry Mice
  • Fa-la-la-la friends
  • and Cozy Critters which is a Hostess stamp set



When making the train I only used current Stampin' Up! products.  Once the train was finished I photographed it and then removed some of the characters because I wanted to add the characters from last years Christmas Cuties stamp set which is now retired.


The next 2 photo's are a close up of the train after I added the characters from the Christmas Cuties stamp set.



I have had so much fun making my Candy Cane Train, it is already hanging up in my Living Room.

If you have any questions or if you would like to leave feedback for me please leave a comment below.

If you would like to order any of the products I used to make the Candy Cane Train please click on an image below or click here to visit my 24/7 online store.

Have yourself some crafting fun.

Dee x


Products used:


2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic project!!!!! And so was the Halloween train!!! I have to give this a try. Grand kids would love it!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia, I'm so pleased you like it. If I can help you with anything please let me know. Dee x

      Delete