Friday, January 20, 2017

How I made my Luminaire's

On Saturday 14th January, 2017 I took part in the Pootler's Blog Hop which showcased some of the new products in the Spring/Summer catalogue.  Click here to see the blog hop. 

The photo below shows the Luminaire I made for the blog hop using the So Detailed Thinlits Dies.  Several people have asked how I made it so I have typed this tutorial. 


I started by measuring the die which was approx. 3 3/4" x 1 5/8".   I cut a piece of Real Red cardstock to 6 3/4" x 8 1/4".  I cut it at 6 3/4" because I wanted to make sure I had room to put a sentiment but you could make it shorter if needed. 

I scored the long side of the cardstock at 2", 4", 6" & 8" and the short side of the cardstock was scored at 2".  To remove some of the bulk at the bottom of the Luminaire I cut up the score lines then removed some of the cardstock as shown below.


Because of the beautiful die-cut it creates (see image shown below) I chose to use this die for the front on my Luminaire. 



To get the cardstock to fit through the Big Shot I folded the small tab underneath and also the end panel as shown in the image below. 


This die has a cutting edge all the way around it so I had to partially die-cut this on the front of the luminaire. It was a bit fiddly to do but it really was worth it.

If you are new to partial die-cutting, the images below show how to do this with the Precision Base Plate and Magnetic Platform or with just the Magnetic Platform.




When I had finished the partial die-cutting I had 2 small lines on each end as shown in image below. 



To hide these lines on my prototype I added a ribbon and made  one of the love notes using the Love Notes Framelits Dies and Sealed with Love Stamp Set and adhered it to the bottom of the Luminaire and added a thin strip of DSP to the top.  The Love Notes Framelits Dies and Sealed with Love Stamp Set can be bought as a bundle from my online store where you will save 10% (Sealed with Love Photopolymer Bundle - Item No. 144705).  


The Luminaire I made for the blog hop I added 2 sentiments from the Sealed with Love Stamp Set.  


Before assembling the Luminaire I added a piece of Sending Love Glassine Sheet that measured 1 7/8" x 4 5/8" behind the die-cut area. 

To decorate the sides of the Luminaires I used my favourite DSP which is the 6"x6" Sending Love Designer Series Paper Stack. The 3 panels on the Luminaire measured 1 3/4" x 4 1/2".  I used multi purpose glue to adhere the DSP panels.

To put the Luminaire together I added Tear & Tape to the tab and to the base of the Luminaire.

For the sentiments on both Luminaires I used the Sealed with Love stamp set and stamped them with Real Red ink.  I used Stampin' Dimensionals at adhere the sentiments.


I hope this blog post has helped you. If you have any questions please leave them in a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

If you make a Luminaire I would love to see it.  I have a closed group on Facebook called Lady Dee's Craft Forum where you can share your creations, click here to go to the forum.

If you would like to buy any of the products I used to make my luminaires please click on an image below.

To visit my 24/7 Online Store please click here. When the page opens click on the 'Shop Now' tab.

Until 31st March 2017 every £45 you spend on Stampin' Up! products
you get to choose a FREE item from the Sale-A-Bration brochure.

Have yourself some crafting fun.

Dee x


Product List


Simply Scored
[122334]
£27.00
Bone Folder
[102300]
£6.25
Big Shot
[143263]
£99.00


No comments:

Post a Comment